Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Road America SCCA races....

So this past weekend I was thrown into the very intense world of SCCA racing. Sports Car Club of America. It was wild to say the least. I was part of a camera crew for the weekend filming the races. Road America is in Elkheart Lake, WI, kinda by Sheboygan, really nice area for sure. It is a four+ mile road course, meaning it has left AND right turns, elevation changes and over and under bridges. I learned this weekend that it is considered by many a world class race track.

I was just excited to be part of a film crew and even more so to see and hear lots and lots of very powerful cars. Like jet fighter powerful.

I was on what was called the "trackside camera crew" meaning I got unlimited access to the track to film. I got to go where the dudes get nailed in those "caught it on tape, your a dumbass for standing right there" videos. It ruled. Three days, I worked three different corners. The final day I worked corner one, and the pics just dont do it justice. These cars came screaming at us at up to 180 mph. I also spent the final day working next to the crane crew, if said car missed turn one, it went into the gravel and the crane had to fish it out, all the while the race is still going on.




No comments: