Friday, September 18, 2009

Trump Clutch

Going to try to make Thursday evenings my day to work on the Triumph in the garage. I've got plenty of things to keep me busy without spending a ton of money right now. Ordered some new rubber bumpers for the cush drive in the clutch hub. These pieces of rubber cushion the clutch basket and chain from the torque of the engine. If the bike has been sitting long enough (which this one sat for 25 years), these become brittle and need to be replaced. So I removed the outer cover and used a screw and a drill to drill into the rubber bumper and pull out the old pieces of rubber. Greased up the new ones and with the help of a couple flathead screw drivers and a C-clamp I worked for a couple of hours to wedge them into the slots, it looks good now that I'm done. I've heard this is one of the toughest tasks of rebuilding the motor...it didn't go to bad for me...

New rubber installed...


A little red lock tight and the cover put back on...



Here is how the hub fits in the clutch basket. The clutch friction plates fit in between the hub and inside the basket. The chain comes around the outside...


A little damage to the clutch basket...these grooves if bad enough, which this isn't too bad, will cause the clutch plates to possibly stick together and not disengage, or engage. You can use a file and square them up a little or replace the basket as a whole. I've started to file them down a little and they are looking good...

No comments: