Saturday, June 19, 2010

what I've been working on

I'm almost done with this. I was able to string it up and play it today, and I even stuffed a pickup in there and temporarily wired it to my amp. I expected this to be an interesting sound I might use just now and then, but it blew me away. I didn't expect this at all. It might be the best sounding electric guitar I've ever heard. Or I might be overreacting due to my surprise. But I really love this sound, it's amazing. I've never heard something with the attack and character of a hollowbody, yet with this much sustain. It has big bell-like bass, and sweet treble that's not at all harsh like I thought it'd be. It sounds huge. It is huge, I think it's 20 lbs. It's the heaviest guitar I've ever played for sure. The block that the neck bolts to is from 1/4" plates welded into a box and is super heavy duty. I had to use MIG to weld stuff to it just to get decent penetration because it's such a heat sink, but all the other body welds you can see are oxy-ac.




5 comments:

tom said...

steampunk Bo Diddley weapon guitar, fucking love it! ANd I can attest to the weight, it's very heavy.

Ben said...

Too cool. Now to weld up a case for it...

aaron said...

I'm afraid if I put it in a case, and accidently drop it, the case will be destroyed.

Dave-O said...

Nice welds...how thick of steel did you use?

aaron said...

The back and sides are 16 guage, the "top", (front face), is 18 guage with 3/4" deep 18 guage strips forming the ladder bracing to keep it flat under the bridge. This is to make it a better (more resonant) soundboard. The neck block is made from 1/4" plates welded into a 3 3/4" by 2 1/2" by 2 1/4" block. The tailpiece that holds the strings behind the bridge is 12 guage, if I remember right.