Tuesday, April 19, 2011

high rivers, haylocopters and bruised bones

I'm deep in the Ozarks, visiting my aunt and uncle. There's about 3 miles of gravel, 3 stream crossings and another 45 minutes of pavement to the nearest approximation of a town.

The good:
I've dodged any bad thunderstorms
The VFR is awesome on the highway
I apparently didn't forget anything crucial
The Ozarks this time of year are amazing, and lots of great riding roads

The bad:
I've had to lay the bike down twice, once at 30mph when a car pulled out of a parking lot in front of me (then fled the scene) and again on a waterlogged gravel road with a 10% grade. Turns out the VFR sucks big leathery rhino balls on gravel. So the plastics are trashed on both sides and I have a bruised hipbone. Otherwise I'm fine, luckily.

Some photos:


At the Mississippi River in Dubuque. Look how organized I am.


Some roads were more passable than others. The river has not been this high in a while according to locals.


Apparently some farmers have free time to burn.


Just a bunch of old tractors rusting away. I like this kind of thing.


One of the streams I had to cross to get to my relatives' place.


Pictures of the right side after laying the bike down the first time. I was too disgusted to take pictures after the second.




A sign at a park we hiked around. The sirens are for a dam upstream that ruptured 4 years ago, flooding the whole park with water and huge boulders. Reassuring.


The Ozarks.


Not wishing to lay the bike down a third time, I am going to truck it out to the highway.

I leave tomorrow for ???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pics r gr8. I'm sitting here looking out on the deck being covered by hail after being covered by sleet earlier today. It looks better where u r at. I am sure Honda is happy to see the demand for repair parts picking up. U should have the hip looked at by a local practitioner. Maybe she will write a script for some "shine"..!!

P.S. My Cushman could handle all of that.

tom said...

awesome! Looking forward to more!

Dave-O said...

Whoa! Glad you didn't hurt yourself bad. Too bad about the bike...its just plastic...it can be fixed, or street fightered, or have a story to tell about it when people ask. Looks like some sketchy but fun riding!

Dan Yoder said...

Looks like an exciting trip Ben! Those minor flesh wounds just add character in my opinion...too bad though! Good luck on the rest of your journey.